Thursday, May 17, 2012

Questions To Ask A Doctor About Parkinson'S Disease

Parkinson's disease is a degenerative neurologic disease, which means that it is a nervous system disease that will get worse over time. More than 4 million people have been diagnosed with the condition worldwide. As of August 2009, there is no cure; treatment concentrates on controlling the symptoms, which usually begin on one side of the body and include tremors, stiffness, slow movement, difficulty walking and poor balance. Parkinson's disease can also cause problems with swallowing and can result in digestive disorders and depression. Once your doctor tells you that you have Parkinson's disease, you will undoubtedly have questions.


Questions About Diagnosis and Testing


1. Why do you think I have Parkinson's disease?


2. How did I develop it?


3. Where can I find more information about Parkinson's disease?


4. Can it be caused by another condition? If so, will the Parkinson's symptoms disappear once the other condition is treated?


5. How will you determine whether I have Parkinson's or not?


6. What do I need to do to prepare for the tests?


7. When will the results be available?


8. Do I need to call for the results or will someone contact me?


9. Should I see a neurologist?


10. How will the condition be monitored?


Questions About the Disease


1. How will the disease progress?


2. What symptoms can I expect?


3. If I have Parkinson's, does that mean my family is at a greater risk of developing it?


Questions About Treatment


1. What are my treatment options?


2. What are the pros and cons of the treatments?


3. Are there side effects to the treatments?


4. How do I minimize any side effects?


5. Are there any clinical trials I can participate in?


6. Will my insurance cover the treatment?


Questions About Living With Parkinson's


1. Are there support groups that my family and I can join?


2. Are there lifestyle changes I can make to minimize the symptoms?


3. Should I avoid certain foods or over-the-counter medications?


4. Are there relaxation or stress-relief techniques I can follow?


5. What should I do when the disease begins to affect my daily activities?







Tags: have Parkinson, Parkinson disease, Questions About, have Parkinson disease, side effects