Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Air Handler Problem



Hi!
I have a Carrier FA4 series air handler. Yesterday, Noticed that cold air was not circulating. Apparently, the outside unit is working fine but the blower is not turning. The blower won't kick in when t-stat is turned to on, cool, or heat. Tried jumping R to G, but still no blower. Appreciate any suggestions? Thanks.

Check first and see if you hear the blower relay click when you put the tstat to fan on???? With fan on see if you can spin the blower wheel and it runs if so can just be the capacitor. If not on too the motor. Dont run out door unit with out inside fan.

Thanks for the quick reply...
nope... no click when I turn t-stat to on. I tried turning blower with stat to on and the fan turns freely but wont turn on its own. What do I do next? How do I check the relay and capacitor, or the motor?

Feel the motor, is it hot to the touch? If yes, then it is probably getting power to it and the problem is the cap or the motor. If it's cold, then it's not getting power which would be a relay, circuit board problem. From here you'll need a test meter to check out the circiuts.

Well, the motor feels cold. How do I check the relay? Can I by-pass the relay and run power directly to the motor to see if it will run?
thanks...

And the serial number?
That'll help in getting the parts list and wiring diagram for the unit.
In the short term if you don't hear a fan relay click to start the fan, that's maybe your $20 fix.
Chris

The model # is FA4BNC048
The motor runs fine when I by-passed the circuit board. What else do I need to check?

Your fan is started and stoped by a relay on the circuit board. The fact that the fan doesn't work in normal mode but does in whatever way you bypassed it means you need a circuit board.
Look at the board and see if you see any brown or black spots where it may have fried.
You can either get a new board, at what ever price (I maybe able to look that up - next post) or leave the fan on all the time and pay nothing.
Chris

But this should be the part number : HK61EA006
DESCRIPTION BOARD CIRCUIT W/TDR
Hope that helps.
Chris

I got the control board I ordered online. I put it in and things are back to normal. Thanks for all the help!

That's why we come here. To help people like you fix the problem yourself and save loads of money.
Chris

Originally Posted by helpingsis
Feel the motor, is it hot to the touch? If yes, then it is probably getting power to it and the problem is the cap or the motor. If it's cold, then it's not getting power which would be a relay, circuit board problem. From here you'll need a test meter to check out the circiuts.
So my motor is hot...how do I tell if it will be the cap or the motor.....fan rotates freely by hand. I can hear the power trying to start it up and the constant HUMMMM but the fan is not turning.

The capacitor is always cheaper than a motor, so just replace that first. Make sure all the wires are hooked up and connectors aren't fried.
Tom

Originally Posted by bokdav1d
I got the control board I ordered online. I put it in and things are back to normal. Thanks for all the help!
Hi bokdav1d,
I have the exact same problem. How did you bypass the control board to check if the motor is working fine? If so, I want to order the board online, but in the meantime I need a cool house, I am burning in Arizona, please help, thanks...

Hi expert Community~
I too have a FA4 series AirConditioners (2 units operating separately and independant of each other. One unit cools all the bedrooms and the other unit cools Family and Living and general areas. I have a unique issue: Sometimes one A/C trips and starts cooling when T/Stat is lowered to below the indicated house temp; and the other does not trip. I live in Florida so it is hot around this time of year. When I say it does not trip the I HEAR NOTHING TURNING ON, whether on Auto or on ON position (cooling or heating). We have to use fans to push colder air from rooms to living area or vice-versa depending on which one is working. I went out to the Units in the garage and noticed one unit's copper pipe warm to mildly hot to touch and the other unit copper pipe sort of cold to touch. The Air Handlers outside the house in open sometimes has ICE formation on one of the pipe leading to the fan unit.
Can anyone diagnose and help me with series of checks I can perform and find out make them work both whenever I turn them on?
Many thanks.
fjk031

The one with the ice is the one not working inside? if yes, is the fan in that unit running?

my air handler isn't working right my condenser is running but the fan in my air handler isnt spinning or pushing air through i tried turning off then back on also tried testing my wires at thermostat power is there dont know about the return tho any help please its 95* in my house

I have had the same problem mentioned in this thread ealier four different times over the last 2 years where the outside unit runs but the inside unit fan will not blow or wont go off. Each of the previous three times it has been the control board HK61EA006. The fan is running now and will not go off and I am assuming it is that board again. Does anyone have any idea why this board would continue to go out like this? Can the thermostat cause this kine of issue?






Tags: handler, problem, circuit board, control board, getting power, other unit, relay circuit, relay circuit board, back normal, back normal Thanks, back normal Thanks help