Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Roof Cleaning Solutions



Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on roof cleaners. I have an asphalt shingle room that is not that old and is already getting the black mold/algae all over it. Just looks ugly. Ive seen a product on TV called Spray and forget but its pretty high dollar with no guarantee at all. Around $45-50 for a spray on concentrated version. Are there any products out there that actually work for roof mold/algae?
Thanks

I've used a concentrated roof cleaning product from Home Depot which I applied with a pump sprayer. Smelled like earthy dirt. In one area I had pretty good success, but in another it didn't do much. I neded to re-apply a second coat. I have found in the past using a bleach/water mix has some success too. Afterall it is mold we're talking about. Not sure what it does to shingles, but mine has fallen off yet and they're 15 years old.

A bleach/water solution should work well. The biggest problem is to clean it well, it should be scrubbed or pressure washed but both will shorten the life of the roof!!

Soft bristle brush (sorta like a carwash brush)..apply, lightly scrub, rinse..repeat.
The roof will be very slippery.
I personally like putting a bit of a soap solution (just a teaspoon or less) to help keep it drom drying too quickly and to help it cling a bit.

Originally Posted by marksr
A bleach/water solution should work well. The biggest problem is to clean it well, it should be scrubbed or pressure washed but both will shorten the life of the roof!!
Neither scrubbing nor pressure washing is required when applied correctly, I clean hundreds a year and rinse from the ground spraying up in the air to mimic rainfall.

Hi,
I am no expert but all the roofs in my area suffer from the same issue. I have a black roof so dont get staining. All the roofs that are light colored here stain on the northern side of the home.
Anyway there is a guy been coming in here putting the zinc strip at the peaks. All the roofs cleared up nicely. Its pretty amazing really. I dont know where he gets the material from but do a search and you will find info on it.
I am only basing this from what I see. Next time I see I will ask if he has a website with pics.
Just a thought.
I found this site. I am sure there are others. In fact that stained roof on the home page is exactly what the roofs look like here in NJ. They are all cape cods like the pic shows also.
I have seen it so I know it works. Some roofer might chime in. I am not sure though if it degrades the roof or not. I would think not, but I am not a roofer.
ZincShield zinc strips LiquidZinc chemical stop prevent roof stains from algae, fungus, mildew, mold, moss
Mike NJ

Two year old thread...........

LOL..... I did not even notice...... Oh well better late then never...
Ha, ha... funny.
Mike NJ






Tags: roof, cleaning, bleach water, biggest problem, biggest problem clean, biggest problem clean well, biggest problem clean well should, bleach water solution, bleach water solution should, bleach water solution should work, both will, both will shorten