Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Drilling Straight With A Hand Drill And A 6x6



Hello All,
Forgive me if this isn't quite the right topics area, but I thought it was the best bet.
I might be in a situation where I need to drill a few 5/8 inch holes through a cedar 6x6 with the post vertical and drilling about 8 feet up (for lag bolts to attach 2x6's in making a sort of arbor/pergola). I have a 14.4 cordless Hitachi drill that seems fine, and I have been practicing with scrap, but man is it hard to get the hole straight (meaning coming out of the board near to where it went in in terms of height and distance from the edge).
Any tips on how I could do this, or should I find a way to measure carefully (very carefully) and drill with the posts in the garage on sturdy ground (maybe even use a drill press). Either way, I'm sure being able to drill straight is a skill that can be taught/learned. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

It is one of those deals where practice makes perfect. I always sight the drill, bit and wood to get the right angle.
If you can get the location right it would be easier to drill the holes on the ground. 2 yrs ago my wife bought me a new cordless drill that has 2 level bubbles on it. I thought it would be great for drilling level holes - it is a feature I have never used, when i could use it I forget about about until after the drilling is done.

One way is to use a Swanson square (triangle), set on your work, next to your drill, and keep the bit square to Swanson. Early on, I had one of those drill presses where you could attach your own drill and clamp it in. I found it so helpful drilling straight holes...I screwed it to my lumber and, even if it was vertical like yours, it drilled perfect holes. Went by way of garage sale, I guess.

I've also seen the drills with the bubbles on them. Perhaps you could rig up something similar by taping a line level vial onto the top of your drill. (provided you can figure out get it on there level )
It is a skill that you aquire by practice. I have 12 long drill bits that I use when working on decks. The long 12 bit is easy to eyeball so that it is square with the work. Once you start the drill, you just have to watch the drill and keep it perpendicular to the work at all times. Holding a small 8 trisquare or speed square while you drill can help if you don't the the eye for it.
If you absolutely, positively need the hole to come out both sides in the exact spot, mark the location on both sides and come at it from both directions so they meet in the middle.

Thanks to all. Chandler, I think I found something like you used to have - a Drill Guide at Sears for just under $30.00.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00967173000
I saw a General Tool unit on Amazon, but it got awful reviews.
I doubt I will have enough time to practice as much as you guys have had, that plus the idea that I have 3 each 10 foot 6x6 clear heart cedar posts that cost me a bundle is enough to convince me to go with the tool! Maybe some day I will be able to do something like this like you all can by hand/with a square, but I a little risk averse these days. Thanks a lot for all the advice and for leading me to looking for a drill guide!
I'll let you all know how it works out!

Yep, mine was similar, but you strapped the entire drill in the unit. Seems like this one would do the job, regardless of the reviews. Its not like you will be using it every day, and for less than $30, you would have straight holes without destroying your wood.

To follow up on XSleeper's suggestion, insert your drill bit into the drill and place bit on level table with drill hanging out over the edge. Clamp down to hold steady. With the drill bit level, you can now place the line level on the drill in the level position and secure with duct tape.

I think part of my problem was I was using a 6 long 5/8 auger bit that really had a mind of it's own, but that little drill press adapter thing from Sears is great. There is no way most humans could drill that stright on their own. Again, I had three 10' peices of 6 x 6 clear heart cedar that cost almost $200 each and I wasn't taking chances, so the $25 purchase was worth every cent. However, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the drilling tips here. Thanks!






Tags: drilling, straight, hand, drill, your drill, drill that, both sides, clear heart, clear heart cedar, drill keep