Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Installing A Transom Over An Interior French Door



I am looking for some advice. I am planning on installing a set of French doors between my foyer and what was the living room which is now a large office on the main level of my center hall colonial. I have 9' ceilings on this level and the opening for the doors is currently 82 1/2 wide by 92 3/4 high. This strange measurement lines up the top of the molding for this opening with the molding around the main door that has a tansom over it. Opposite to this opening is the opening to the dinning room which is the same height.
I have gone to HD and looked at some stock french doors. It appears that the options I have are 4',5' or 6' wide and 80,84 or 96 high. None of these seem to fit without some serious framing efforts. I was hoping to go with the std 80 doors and put a transom (a standard one) above it maybe 10 high (depending on availability) and bite the bullet and frame out the one side of the door jam to meet the width required.
My first question is Are there any custom mfgs out there that can make a door to fit this space? I have searched around and have not come across one yet.
Next if I go this route, the top of the opening already has a header in place. What do I need between the transom and the top of the frame of the 80 French door (2x4 laid flat?)
I am cringing at this project that I might have to mess with all the framing on this opening and then also on the dining room opening to make the heights uniform. This turns a somewhat complex job in the office and foyer into a mess with the foyer,office and dining room opened up and all will need new paint etc.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Welcome to the forums! I think you have an ideal situation, with minimal framing involved, since your header is already in place. That is the biggest obstacle. When I read your title, I said, Oh no. But you're good.
I have replaced entrance doors in the same situation with larger doors with smaller doors and transom lighting (non opening). It did require a special order from my local door place, but it was worth it. Customer did like it, too .
There are many dealers out there and manufacturers.....Jeld Wen, Pella, Peachtree, Andersen, so you have a myriad to choose from. A visit to a showroom will help. I use Jeld Wen, mainly because they are in our sleepy town, have a show room, and I go to church with the guy who owns it. BUT, they deliver what I need. The door/transom will come built as a unit, so it is a matter of taking measurements at 3 locations on the sides and top to bottom across. Write them down, and let them go to work with their computer. They can design one and have it built to your liking.
Who said cheap?? No, but it will fit, be beautiful and last a long time.

Custom heights and transoms are available, at a cost. With some basic carpentry skills, some lumber, moldings and a piece of glass you can can make the transom after you install the stock doors.

chandler,johnam,
Thanks for the response. I am going to investigate the custom size doors and I guess depending on the price it will determine how much effort I want to put into using the std doors and fitting everything. How much could a custom door be 2 or 3 times the cost of a standard door?

I should think 1.5 to 2 times the cost of a regular set. While it seems expensive, you will be pleased with the results, IMO. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.






Tags: installing, transom, french, door, this opening, dining room, doors transom, mess with, room which, situation with, times cost