Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Grate/Hearth Heaters



I am trying to get more heat from the fireplace into the house. I do not really want to do the insert thing (hard to move and the real boss does not like the way they look, and I (hate to admit it) tend to agree).
In a previous home we had a hearth/grate heater than consisted of tubes (that you set the wood on) with a blower plenum on the bottom that drew suction from the bottom, heated the air and blew it out the top (would also work by natural convection in the event of a power outage). The problem was the material was probably not the best for the job and eventually the tubes rusted through (high heat, direct contact, great for oxidation). This design also required the doors be open to use it. It did do a good job of heating the house, though.
New house and we are looking for something to do the same thing. I was going to build something using bent exhaust piping (should be able to handle some of the heat), but I was afraid, if it did develope a small leak because I used the wrong material, it may start spewing carbon monoxide into the house, not a good thing. I have looked at a few other designs on the net, some identical to that in the old house and others that require lifting the door assembly up and blowing air (through tubes) through a heat exchanged that is nothing more than the grate and passing the warmer air back through the vent under the door. I have a product in mind (looks to be very good), but would appreciate any input from the experts... or anyone who has used the under door models.
Thanks

I am in the same situation as you. I want a lot of heat from my fireplace, but the boss does not want anything too ugly. I just ordered a product called the fireplace radiator. It should be arriving any day now. I do not have doors on my fireplace, jsuta removeable screen. Follow this link:
http://fireplaceradiator.com/
Scott

Actually, interesting you mention that product. it is the one I am considering. It would be great if there was any other feedback from someone who has used one.
I am curious what made you choose this over the others?

Here are some of hte reasons i chose the Fireplace Radiator. It looks like a better stronger design made of cast iron unlike the Cozy Grate Heater. The fan is on the outside of the fireplace which seems safer. The fan can also be removed when you ar not using it in the summer. It has a 5 year warranty. They are both sold at http://www.northlineexpress.com/fireplace-grate-heaters.asp and they say the fireplace radiator is the best.

I placed my order today (let us/me know what you think when you install yours). I used a different vendor (everything was the same except they offered an additional year warranty on the electrical components and also had a few accessories to sell with it).
On paper it looks good, I know I will burn more wood than with an insert (but I have lots of wood to burn and do not want it to rot), but the boss will be happy with the open flame.

I am excited. Mine should be here tomorrow and I will update you and everyone on it. Just curious, who did you buy it from and what accessories did you get.
Scott

I placed the order through www.fireplaceradiator.com. There is a package deal with the Ember Chef (cooking rack that attaches to the device) and a cast iron pan for cooking. Nothing too fancy.

How did the fireplace radiator work out for you? I'm shopping similar products right now.






Tags: grate, hearth, heaters, fireplace radiator, boss does, cast iron, from fireplace, heat from, heat from fireplace, into house, placed order, under door, year warranty