Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Minn Kota All Terrain 40# Trolling Motor Foot Pedal Issues Buy It Or Run



I have an oppertunity to buy what was described as a Minn Kota All Terrain 40# with foot control in excellent condition for $100. Come to find out it came new on a 1998 boat and the pedal sometimes works and sometimes doesn't... excellent condition... maybe not?? I'm still waiting for a better description of what works and what sometimes does not. The seller said I think that it just needs adjusted but I don't know do it..... that worries me too.
I can't help but think that the foot pedal can be taken apart and fixed. The motor pivots on cables leaving only the speed control, ON/OFF, and direction if it even has that, as the electrical side. Probably a few switches and a rheostat or potentiometer. I'll bet that I could fix it but being sold as is, fixed or not I would own it.
I'm also thinking that this is not a Maximizer type motor, the age scares me a little, and 40# may be the minimum I would need for a 16 deep V. This thing also includes the bow mount and all hardware.
I kind of had my thoughts set on a Minn Kota 55# V2, if for noting else, it looks like it takes up less room on the bow. That is a maximizer motor but of course they are much more expensive.
What's your opinion?

Darn... someone beat me to it. Still would like to know though....

I think the power drive unit is well worth the money. I had a cable driven model for a year and after switching I won't go back. It's so nice to be able to move around the boat and still be able to control the motor.

I think you are right about moving around, I am also reading about tripping over the rigid cable. Having never used one I can only guess that the feel of turning a motor on a cable wouldn't be less than ideal as well.
I do have a line on a used Minn Kota V2 55# but the guy is asking $400, that sounds too high as compared to a new one. Also the guy is 4 hours from my home but 1.5 hours from a worksite have I drive to once in a while. At that price, maybe he'll need some Christmas cash and drop it a little if I wait him out.

$400 is a little high, I sold my v2 with universal sonar for $350 after using it once it literally didn't have a scratch on it.

I think I'm more in the $250 - $300 range for that.






Tags: minn, kota, terrain, motor, foot, pedal, Minn Kota, excellent condition, hours from, Kota Terrain, Minn Kota Terrain, think that